fear, vulnerability and a year of blogging

On August 31st, I was going about my normal day when I realized the date was familiar. It had been a year since I had started this whole blogging thing. Wowza. 

A year ago, I was apprehensive and certainly had no idea what I was doing, but I thought I would give blogging a try since I love writing and tend to have a lot to say about different topics (my poor parents can vouch for that one- it's been a fatal flaw since I first learned to speak!). 

I had wanted to do this for a long time and had even started a blog twice before. Both times, however, had turned out to be unsuccessful when I chickened out and deleted said blogs. Last year, however, I was committed. Read my first blog post here

It's been a wonderful journey since. I started off with so many ideas of topics I could share about. Faith! Development! Recipes! Tout et Rien smorgasbords! Traveling! All the things! 

If you have been along for the ride since the beginning (which would be surprising, as I kept the blog a completely secret from everyone I knew other than maybe five people), you probably noticed how eager I was in the early days of the blog. I was writing multiple times a week about a diversity of topics. I was so excited and nothing could stop me! 

Then, seven months into it, I felt as though I had no words to say at all. Writer's block, they call it. And just when I thought I should delete the blog because it seemed so juvenile and a cliche- I found myself loving this space all over again. I held onto it as a place to work through the millions of thoughts going through my mind- a way to immortalize musings, conclusions or questions that I will look back to one day. It is a way to actively pay attention and engage with topics that could otherwise be but brief reflections. 


Generally speaking, I am someone who doubts herself. I worry that my thoughts make no sense, lack cohesion and that I am utterly alone in my observations. Whenever I find myself in this mindset, blogging seems so daunting and unbearably vulnerable. This was definitely what was going through my mind when I deleted blog #1 and blog #2. 

Blogging has been an invitation to stop making decisions out of fear. Every time I press the "publish" button is a step of faith in some sense. It is a decision to intentionally choose vulnerability over fearing the disapproval of others. What a great opportunity for growth this has been! 

I am so grateful to fellow bloggers who reached out to me and gave me feedback on writing and readership. I was so touched by those of you who invited me to share some thoughts on their own space of the web. 

I am equally thankful to the dear readers who shared comments and insight, and who faithfully read posts. I can't believe people would take time out of their busy lives to take a glimpse into my brain and thoughts- I am so humbled by that. Thank you. 

I don't always feel like I know who my audience is. I see on the backend that people are reading- but who you are can sometimes feel like a bit of a mystery. But, either way, whether your thoughts are similar to mine or you disagree with me entirely, thank you for your presence here. Oh, and feel free to share about yourself- I'd love to hear. 

I thought, in honor of a full year of blogging, that I would share posts that resonated with readers and that I received feedback on. A trip down memory lane, of sorts. 

And of course, you guys sure love the tout et rien series! I'll make sure to make another one soon- that's a promise! 

So here is to a year of blogging. Thanks to all of you for stopping by, reading and encouraging. It is such a gift! 

À bientôt!

Comments

Unknown said…
So great, Jess! Love your intense vulnerability in what you share, and your willingness to spread your wonderful ideas, opinions and musings - not to mention your a.m.a.z.i.n.g. writing skills! Thank you so much, Jess, you have been such an encouragement and inspiration to me, and to so many others. You're awesome.

Popular Posts