what's on my bookshelf


I tried to read as much as I could this past semester. I have a pretty long commute from home to my University, so I decided to fill up that time with reading instead of scrolling through social media as I have done in the  past (and which ultimately used up all my data). 

I like to mix up the type of books I am reading, but today I thought I would share some of the faith-based books I enjoyed in the past few months. These books all have in common that they are written by lovers of Christ and His Church. They address a diversity of themes- from feminism to loneliness to perfectionism- and were all a great encouragements to me. I hope some of these authors may also be influential voices in your faith journey. 


Jesus Feminist, by Sarah Bessey.

This book is important. I could go on and on about the complementarian versus egalitarian debate, but instead I will refer you to authors I have found to write with grace and greater knowledge than I on the issue. 
In Jesus Feminist, Sarah Bessey revisits the Bible's view of women and emphasizes that Christ's teachings and ministry highlight the fact that women are people tooShe challenges the small-minded conceptualization of feminists as radical, angry, intolerant matriarchs who quench all traditional roles and believe there are no differences between men and women. Instead, she claims that feminism, in its essence, is about equality. 
For the sake of the gospel, we are all invited to be Jesus Feminists, embracing this notion of gender equality that is informed by our faith in Christ Jesus. To all men and women reading this (no matter your position on women in leadership in the Church)- this ought to be read. 

Uninvited, by Lysa TerKeurst. 

We might not want to admit, but we all go through seasons of loneliness. I certainly did in my first year of University (read about that here) and I still periodically confront feelings of not measuring up and feeling misunderstood. 
TerKeurst's book was filled with biblical truths which she skillfully uses as reminders to dwell deeply in the abundant love of God when we feel unloved. I was so encouraged by the beautiful notion of living loved, and saying yes to God's invitations for intimacy with Him when I feel uninvited by others. 
Lysa Terkeurst is relatable, funny and vulnerable. I recommended this book to the teen girls in my youth group, as I wish I had known these promises of God when I was navigating through high school and teen years. I think this would also make a good book for girls' discussion groups. 

One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp. 

Ann Voskamp is an incredible writer, with a beautiful and unmatched way with words. She is the type of author that you read and immediately see this is her calling- because God's voice is captured so beautifully in every word choice. I felt like I was reading her love letter to God as she described tender, raw moments with Him in her story. 
In One Thousand Gifts, she chronicles through a personal journey toward deep gratitude and contentment by seeking to better understand Christ's fullness. She writes with honesty and passion. The book left me full of thanksgiving for God's blessings, and a desire to surrender control over my current context but rather seek delight for the life I am given, the season I am in and the people I am surrounded with. 

Present Over Perfect, by Shauna Niequist. 

I honestly don't even know where to start with this one. I have already mentioned it a couple times on the blog, because it truly was life changing. For those of us who are overworked, people pleasers, overachievers, perfectionists, exhausted, living frantically- this book is for us. And as you read Niequist's powerful account of her story, let it, by God's grace and His leading, change you. 
I am so thankful for this compelling invitation to freedom which I have already encouraged many of my friends and family members to read. We don't need to settle for busyness, because we are invited into God's rest and His sacred space of true peace. We don't need to keep saying yes to everything because we wrongly believe every single good opportunity that comes our way is God's will for us. We don't need to be perfect, because that is but an illusion, and we lose true presence by pursuing this idea perfection. I am so grateful for this urgent, desperately needed message that I will carry close to my heart for the rest of my life. 

Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. 

A classic. This is a beautiful introduction to Christianity, and is filled with important reminders for those who have grown up in the faith. A perfect book for those who love Christ and those who think nothing of Him at all. 

I may be biased because I appreciate Lewis immensely, but I found his writing here to be beautiful and convicting, and I was moved by the end of the book. I so appreciated his emphasis on grace, love and forgiveness as the common ground and transcendent values of all Christian believers. 
I love this quote: "The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His [God's] love for us does not. It is not wearied by our sins, or our indifference; and therefore, it is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him." Yes, yes, yes!

Do you have any book recommendations for me? Happy reading, you guys! 

Comments

Popular Posts