humbling semester beginnings

Humbling experience #1: 

My fourth semester started with a bang. Quite literally. 

I was on my way to my first class (which is terrible enough) and fell down the stairs of the bus station. I slipped, couldn't get a hold of the railing and somehow found myself flying head first down a flight of stairs. Thankfully, a gentleman was walking a few stairs ahead of me and essentially caught me when my entire body collided onto him. 

It was a low point. 

This was a rather dramatic beginning to this semester, and I hope it is not a metaphorical representation of what the next few months will look like (crashing and burning). 

I have two fresh, blue bruises as proof and I'm pretty sore.  

But hey, the sun has been shining, I made it to class on time, no bones are broken, my ego will recover, and it could be worse. 



Humbling experience #2. 


I had to drop a class. Not because I didn't find it interesting, or didn't think I would enjoy it or do well in it. But because I physically and emotionally and psychologically and intellectually could not handle a full courseload and all my other commitments. 

I was enrolled in 5 classes, am leading a Bible study and a youth group, mentoring a few girls, started an internship for an organization I love, am working at a youth center, am also working as an office assistant, am in a long distance relationship and want to prioritize my family and friends too. 

It's too much. 

The decision was a hard one to make because dropping a class means graduating a full semester later than planned. 

Who cares, you might think? I do. Well, I thought I did until my loved ones reminded me my prideful, overachieving, perfectionist, efficiency-seeking self did. Gotta love honest relatives, right? 

The boy encouraged me to make my decision through prayer and by answering the following question which we came across a few months ago when reading Andy Stanley's book on decision making, called Ask It

In light of your (1) past experiences, (2) current circumstances, (3) future hopes and dreams... what is the wise thing to do

And I knew I had to drop the class. I thought of (1) my past history with stress and anxiety issues related to school, (2) my current packed schedule and (3) my desire to look back on my University days one day and see that I made the most of life in and out of school, that I had respected my body and mind's limitations and that I did not allow my fear of failure to dictate decisions. So, I dropped the class.

It stung my pride as I pressed on the web drop button. And it hurt to accept the fact that I won't graduate in a year as planned. But I knew it was the right decision, and I am already feeling my apprehension about the semester turn to excitement. 


Glad this guy helps me make wise decisions and pray/ walk you through the process. I'm a thankful girl.

Conclusion
It's been a humbling three days, but good things are happening. 
Let's do this thing. 

Comments

Popular Posts