thoughts on christmas 2017

I'm back!

Christmas and everything leading up to it was nothing short of wonderful. We rested, feasted and enjoyed the company of loved ones. I missed my sister fiercely, this being the first Christmas with her away from home, but we were able to correspond with her a lot over FaceTime and writing.
I am currently on the West Coast of Canada, enjoying blue skies and majestic mountains. Right after Christmas, I frantically got ready to see the boy in BC. I arrived a few days ago, and it has been so good being back together and transitioning from 2017 to 2018 as a duo.

Thinking back at this Christmas season, I would say it was marked by three important lessons I don't want to forget. I hope they may be an encouragement to you.



1. Christmas can highlight grief
Interestingly, though my Grandpa passed away nearly a year ago (more on that here), grief reintroduced itself to me this holiday season. I thought a lot about my grand-father, the last Christmas we spent together. I have two precious pictures of my sister, him and I in our PJs on Christmas morning- one when I was a little girl and the recreation of that same picture that we took just a couple years ago. I cherish those moments with him, and miss him dearly.
I count myself blessed and fortunate to have had a good relationship with my grandfather, who died after having lived a full life. I did not experience great regrets in the mourning process, nor did I unendingly lament his absence as I thought of him. I missed him, but had great peace. I was nonetheless reminded that the holidays can be a truly painful and difficult time for many. Christmas can be a harsh reminder of what has gone and changed, what used to be or what will never be. I admit (and confess) that I have seldom been mindful of those navigating through hardship in the Christmas season. In future years, my prayer is that I can more intentionally open my ears, my heart and my home to those who need to talk, be prayed for, be listened to or just be with.

2. Advent enriches the season 
Growing up, the tradition of Advent was very much apart of our family culture, with readings and candle-lighting in the four weeks leading up to Christmas. This year was however the first time I sought to implement Advent practices in my own devotional and prayer life (read about that here and here), and to take a more active interest in the liturgy performed in our family. I am so glad I did. The combination of an individual and communal observation of Advent enriched the experience of Christmas and encouraged me to reflect more intentionally on making room for Christ and anticipate His coming in a chaotic time of year. As I read through Advent worship, studied Scripture and practiced the Daily Examen, I was immeasurably blessed by focusing on the joy and peace of this Christian season. Advent invites us into a posture of anticipation and hope, which should be a trademark of the Christian walk. May we as God's people be eager with faith, awaiting His coming and the fulfillment of His promises with trust, longing and open hands. 

3. Seek simplicity 
Everyone is always so tired when comes late November, yet we feel the obligation to fill the Christmas season with unending Christmas parties, unique gifts for every person in our social circle, trying out new recipes and putting up extravagant light arrangements. After reading Shauna Niequist's book Present over Perfect this Fall, my mom and I both felt convicted about simplifying Christmas this year. Less parties, less gifts, less activity. We opted for much rest and conversation, and it was a far more soulful and refreshing Christmas than imagined. We spent time puzzling, reading and watching holiday movies, shortened guest lists and took our time when opening presents on Christmas morning. Evaluating and challenging our default holiday habits allowed us to walk in freedom and peace in this arguably overwhelming time of year. We focused on the traditions that meant the most to us, and were able to start the New Year with vitality and contentment. Cliches are a cliches for a reason- this Christmas, we were reminded that less truly is more. 


Happy New Year to all! What have you learned this Holiday season? 

Comments

Kenzie said…
Jess! I was so excited to see that you had posted again! I love, love, love reading your blog and I so admire your ability to reflect with honesty and humility. Happy new year, sweet friend! xo
Jess said…
You are so sweet! Thanks for being such an encouragement in this blogging journey! Looking forward to a collaboration soon xox

Popular Posts