no resolution 2018

Behold, the Zulus are dancing for the Eternal One. 
Shift a little, Jehovah is coming. 
- Zulu Hymn

By nature, I'm all about the New Years resolutions. I love evaluating the past year, making a list of things to do and not to do and striving to achieve goals I have set for myself. I guess this is the enneagram type 3 wing of my personality that is talking.

However, by the Spring of 2017, I found myself getting really discouraged about the resolutions I had set and the realization that they were not realistic and I probably would not be able to reach them.

I changed the formula this year.

Instead of "goals" or "resolutions", I am seeking new "rhythms" and "shifts" in 2018. I realize I may be getting into mere semantics, but I do find the distinction to be quite life-giving.

At the end of the day, a goal and a resolution is focused on the end results. You can set a goal of losing 20 pounds in a year, but if you only lose 5- you have, in essence, failed at achieving your objective. You can have a resolution to achieve a 4.0 grade point average, but if you end up with a 3.7, you've truly not reached the target you set.

I think we tend to evaluate ourselves in a linear fashion. We seem to use clear measurability when we assess ourselves. It's easy and convenient to consider whether I am doing "well" or "badly", whether I have "succeeded" or "failed" based on goals that are easily measurable. The weight on the scale. The grades on my transcript. The money in my account. The amount of trips I have been on. 



But as I dance for the Eternal One in this year, may my feeling of self-worth rest on nothing other than what He speaks over me. 

With rhythms, it's not about the finish line. It's about the process and the learning curve.

It's about small shifts for Jehovah to take room and guide me toward wholeness and true vitality. 

I don't know about you, but little shifts are far less overwhelming than ambitious, quixotic end goals if you ask me. 

I am coming to believe that when the focus is on small shifts and a change of rhythm to make more room for God, the needed results for my wellbeing will ultimately follow. 

In 2018, these small shifts involve seeking rest through Sabbath, seeking wholeness and wellbeing through intentional cooking and exercising, seeking connectivity through mentorship and proactive friendships, seeking spiritual intimacy with God through prayer. I'm so excited about these rhythm changes and will synchronously be praying for God to pilot me in these new practices. 

Whether we choose to set goals and resolutions, or rhythms and shifts, or nothing at all- let us all have grace for ourselves this year. The utmost gift is that we are dancing for the Eternal One and that He comes to dwell and dance among us. 


Beloved, keep on dancing, mindfully aware of your rhythm and of the One who is coming! 


Comments

Popular Posts