sabbath rest

This year, a rhythm I have been seeking to adopt is Sabbath-keeping. In simple terms, observing Sabbath involves setting a day aside for rest, worship, peace and delight. I put away my homework and work commitments, choose an activity to enjoy and do it. Here are some things I am learning about this practice. 

1. There is freedom in Sabbath-keeping

Sabbaths have looked different from week to week- a walk or a nap, on my own or with family and friends, at home or away. One of my good friends spends her day creating. Painting, scrapbooking and photography are her favorite things to do, so she takes this day of rest to do that. My parents will make a good meal, take a nap and then go outside for a few hours of snowshoeing. My boyfriend, who was the one to encourage me to consider the discipline of Sabbath, will often spend half his day on his own and the other half communally. He and his friends like going on some kind of adventure on the Sabbath- last week's Sabbath rest involved a taco shop crawl in downtown Vancouver. 

I enjoy reading my Bible and meditating on the Sabbath, but I think it's important to note this is not necessarily all that it's about. The heart of Sabbath is not a day of ministry or obligatory spiritual education. I've been learning that God gives us much freedom in Sabbath-keeping, and we should view it as a blessing rather than a part of a religious to-do list. Jesus said himself, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27). 

2. Starting off the week 

We tend to think of Sabbath as a peaceful ending of a week. After six long days of incessant toil, who wouldn't want a day of rest?! I get that. And if that's your approach to Sabbath-keeping, may you be blessed in that. 

I am however reframing my thinking. I won't deny God indeed did rest on the seventh day in the creation story, after He finished His work. However, man and woman were created on the sixth day. This means, in essence, that their experience of Sabbath rest was the opening of their life story and of the seven-day cycles which make up our calendars. 

Sabbath, in this sense, is not about recovering from a busy week. Rather, I view Sabbath-keeping as setting a tone for my week. Beginning a week with Sabbath rest allows me to be aware of the beautiful gifts of grace, joy and peace that God freely extends- small snapshots of the Kingdom where we will live in eternal grace, joy and peace. 

3. An act of obedience 

I would be lying if I said Sabbath-keeping is easy for me. I have a hard time being unplugged and have failed to fully ignore emails from professors and completely avoid homework for a full day. I am learning Sabbath ultimately requires preparation- it means making sure to prepare for it on the days leading up to it. Setting apart a day of rest involves much surrender, and actively trusting that God will help me get through my studies and schedule without putting in all the extra hours of work that day. 

Sabbath is an act of obedience. It's not easy, but it is a much-needed practice to remind me that busyness and a hectic schedule is not the way of Jesus. This is about believing that God knows what is best for His children. It is about knowing that I don't have to "do" or "achieve" more to be loved by God. It is about letting my roots grow down into Him, and letting my life be built on Him as the apostle Paul writes

I urge you to think about how the counter-cultural discipline of Sabbath-keeping could enrich your walk with Christ and allow you to savor Kingdom peace here on earth. 

And if you're still not convinced- check out these pictures of last Sunday, when I enjoyed a beautiful day of Sabbath with my mom. We drove to a beautiful coffee shop south-west of the island of Montreal (long drive, but so worth it), and delighted in lattes, books, writing, crosswords, and chats. Sabbath rest. 

Enjoy. 








Until next time, friends!

Comments

victoria said…
The best change I have made this year! A challenge, but always so rewarding. God sure knows what we need. Thank you for your words xo
Jess said…
It's so awesome we are both learning about this practice, and facing both the challenging but way greater life-giving sides of Sabbath!

Popular Posts