eleven days into lent


A couple weeks ago, I wrote about Lent and why I decided to take part in the practice this year. Taking a class about Church history this semester has been an incredibly formative learning experience and has led me to become more interested in the Christian Calendar (or Liturgical Calendar). I recognize that practices such as Lent, Advent or Epiphany are not biblical mandates. However, making a point to observe these practices and celebrate such events helps set our minds on biblical principles. For that, I am thankful. 

A rhythm and spiritual discipline that lacks in our culture is self-denial. We want allllll the food, clothes, trips, etc. etc. I spoke here about even having a self-centered spirituality. We are ravenous, gluttonous beings who want it all. Unfortunately, this prevents us from identifying with Christ's sufferings. The Lenten season invites us to deny ourselves to lean more into Christ. 

I wasn't sure what I was going to fast from until right before Lent started. I eventually decided I would wake up early for all forty days of Lent, to read through Exodus before heading to school. I guess you could say I am "giving up" extra hours of sleep as a means to make myself uncomfortable, feel a certain loss, and understand further the sacrifice of Christ. The discomfort fostered by less sleep gives me a small (...narrow, minuscule, microscopic) glimpse of the loss Jesus experienced when He left the heavenly realm, becoming a human for my salvation. 

Eleven days in- and it has been a really encouraging process. I can't say I have found it easy to give up that hour of sleep (nor have I been entirely successful at it) for a time of reading and praying. I am however learning, seeing, feeling the salvation of the Lord in exciting ways as I journey through the story of the Israelites. 

The account of the exodus of the Hebrew people is all about the Lord's salvation, just as the Lenten season is. 
I, like the Israelites, was captive and God set me free. 
I, like the Israelites, am quick to distrust God's provision even when He faithfully meets my needs. 
I,  like the Israelites, forget His salvation promises as I wander through the desert. I forget He is always, always at work.  
There are so many interesting parallels between the story of Exodus and the gospel story. 

Russ Ramsey sums it up beautifully: 

Exodus points to how Jesus would save us. We see Him in the Passover Lamb, in the bread from heaven, in the water that flowed when the rock was struck, and in the burning bush which spoke the name “I AM.” We see Him in the liberation of a people oppressed by tyranny and enslaved to the kingdom of this world. Even more, we see Jesus as the presence of God coming down from heaven to dwell among His people (Exodus 40:34-35, John 1:14).

Have a beautiful week, everyone! 

Comments

Popular Posts