belovedness

Happy Valentine's day week to you all! 

I hope it is one in which you are surrounded by those you cherish, and that you have the opportunity to show them love today. 

I know Valentine's day can be rough. It can be marked by unmet expectations, grief, longing or loneliness. Let's be honest here- this holiday promotes an over-the-top, commercial conceptualization of love that we are socialized to view as necessary. I believe in the importance of romance and am so thankful for it in my relationship. But I do think there is not enough talk about how this day painful. I also think we tend to get wrapped up in the (frivolous, feel-good, instantly gratifying) cultural understandings of love rather than spend time reflecting on what love means to us, and what it is in its essence. 

My prayer today is that you would know you are beloved. No bouquet of roses or teddy bear or chocolates is necessary for you to walk in that truth. Being created beings, belovedness is at the core of our existence. Christian belief, in fact, emphasizes that we are loved inherently by God- with a love that is committed, unrequited and filled with willful delight for us. What a gift! 


And with this promise of our belovedness comes an invitation to love others: 

We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). 

I love these words by Henri Nouwen, which I think encompasses what our practice of love can look like today:   

"Did I offer peace today? Did I bring a smile to someone's face? Did I say words of healing? Did I let go of my anger and resentment? Did I forgive? Did I love? These are the real questions. I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will bear many fruits, here in this world and the life to come."

Belovedness is our identity, and this allows us to extend love toward others. 

That is worth celebrating. 

Comments

Popular Posts