the barrier of privilege

You could say it all started in May of 2017, in a little coffee shop overlooking the Mekong river. It was uncomfortably hot outside, far too warm for my Canadian self. I had been in Phnom Penh for two weeks now, visiting family. I sat in front of my cousin and her husband, that I admire deeply, as they spoke about the work they have dedicated their life to in South-East Asia. As I listened to them talk with such conviction about anti-trafficking efforts in Cambodia, I could not help but confront my ignorance.

Though I have not been afforded a lavish lifestyle by any means, I inarguably see the world with a perspective of privilege. I am enrolled in University, live comfortably in the suburbs of North America and think more about my outfit choices than about my personal safety, rights and freedoms. My context has effectively allowed me to ignore the injustices faced by many women in the world. As my family members explained their specialty in trafficking prevention strategies, awareness campaigns and the reintegration of victims into local economies, I was slowly realizing how out of touch I am with the reality of human-trafficked individuals.

Cambodia, Summer 2017
I am a feminist. Quite simply, I believe that women and men are equal (radical thought, right?). However, I have failed to acknowledge that fighting for equal pay or better political representation testifies to my privilege. Though these fights are of great importance, they overlook the millions of girls and women in the world who are not concerned with getting paid as much as men, but rather with their basic rights to liberty, security, and life.

I will never be able to change where I was born and the privileges of this part of the world. I however do not think I should content myself with merely being thankful for my context. This coffee shop conversation sparked a reflection process in me. I have been learning our vision is so often clouded by our own priorities, our own social reality. Privilege often becomes a barrier to awareness and advocacy, and a pathway to ignorance and bliss.

How can I use my socioeconomic situation, culture or interests, to advance the cause of justice?

How can I ensure I am not only concerned with those who have the same needs as me?

How do I become a woman of justice who acknowledges her privilege yet does not allow it to dictate her mode of action?

How do I avoid becoming selective when it comes to awareness and activism?

Just some thoughts on this snowy March afternoon. No exact conclusions yet.

Comments

Popular Posts