an ode to summer

Oh Summer 2017. 

You were so good. So dang good. 


Sigh. I can't believe Summer's over. Tuesday was my first day back at school (insert fifteen crying face emojis here). I am ready to get back into the routine, but I would be lying if I said I am not grieving the end of the break. 


Though University is stressful and overwhelming, I gotta say- I can't complain about the Summer breaks. April to September?! Yes, please. It was a Summer filled with activity and travel, meandering in the grass barefoot and ice cream runs. Memories I won't shake off anytime soon. 





Here are some highlights. 

For starters, I had a lovely weekend trip with my mom to Quebec City. I love it. It's such a beautiful city, smaller than Montreal and so filled with history and charm. And it's always so nice spending time with my mama. I love her. We actually went for work reasons but ended up having a lot of free time together, despite it raining the entire time!




A couple weeks later in mid-may, my boyfriend (whom I have decided to nickname "the boy" on the blog) came to visit for a week. The boy and I met in Germany two years ago and have been dating for a year now. He's a BC boy, I'm a QC girl. We see each other every 3-4 months. I was so, so, so happy to be with him again. We had a blast and I always love showing him around my city and seeing him interact with my loved ones. 


Together we went to our friends wedding in Philly. It was a beautiful day and they humbly gave all the glory to God. It was so precious. 



We went with two other friends to New York City for a day. I love Manhattan. Ever since I was young and watched Eloise (the girl that lives in the Plaza Hotel), I have wanted to live there. Too bad I would have to sell everything I own to ever afford it. 




A month or so after that, I went to Cambodia and Vietnam with my sweet sis and my dear friend from Manitoba. We visited cousins of mine that are international development workers in Phnom Pehn. Lau and I have been dreaming about this trip for a long time. It exceeded our expectations in so many ways. What beautiful countries, rich cultures and kind, interesting people. 





For ten weeks, I worked at a local Christian day camp, coordinating programs. I have been working there for five years now, watching it grow from five campers a week to forty! Such a beautiful reminder of God's faithfulness and provision. So many little hearts heard about His love and grace story. 
At Montreal's Biodome! 
In July, I flew to British Columbia to visit the boy. He surprised me with tickets to the Phantom of the Opera for my birthday and our anniversary (I seriously can't believe it's been a year what the heck). He is so thoughtful and generous, and knows me well. We had a lovely time with his family and he showed me some of his favorite places in Vancity. 



We then drove up to one of my bestie's wedding! The day was so perfect, filled with detail and beauty and happy tears and dancing. It was my first time being a bridesmaid, which was such an honor. 





A few weeks later, ANOTHER wedding! This time, my cousin's, in Muskoka. What a glorious day it was. They had such an intentional wedding, filled with details and in such a beautiful setting (and I mean who can go wrong with a bonfire and smores and pie table?!). 




After camp ended, I vacationed with my sweet family in Nova Scotia. The drive was so long from Montreal but it was definitely worth it. Seriously so beautiful. We had the best chats, we prayed together, we read a lot, we hiked, we ate well, we laughed. It was the best ending to the Summer, especially right before sweet Lau left for a year of studies in Paris. 








I'm thankful. 

So long Summer 2017. It's been real. 

Comments

Popular Posts