advent prayer

For many years now, I have loved this painting titled Mary and Eve, by Sister Grace Remington, among the Cistercian Sisters of the Mississippi Abbey.

Mary, comforting Eve. What a powerful thought.

Beautiful, beautiful reminder of what this Christmas celebration symbolizes for all humanity, and all history.

We read in Genesis 3:15 that evil once did it worst.

But let us never forget- it lost.

The seed of the woman crushed the head of the snake. The seed gave His life as a ransom for all.


 

And today, I found a hymnal prayer which goes alongside it. An invitation to celebrate, with all angels and saints, the true joy of Christmas- the Giver of new Life who has come.

My mother, my daughter, life-giving, Eve,
Do not be ashamed, do not grieve.
The former things have passed away,
Our God has brought us to a New Day.
See, I am with Child,
Through whom all will be reconciled.
O Eve! My sister, my friend,
We will rejoice together
Forever
Life without end.


Life without end. Amen!

Comments

Popular Posts