we sang in the city

Yesterday, my sweet cousin was a dancer in a Christmas show led by a large church plant in downtown Montreal. The production was everything from entertaining to contemplative, witty and sweet. 

At the end of the show, every member of the audience was given a candle and together we sang "Minuit Chrétien" (or, Oh Holy Night). Carols by candlelight, in the middle of Montréal's downtown. 

I was brought to tears. Thousands of voices and flames raised and headed to the heavens, like hopeful prayers. It was beautiful, and I can't think of a more powerful way to celebrate the advent of Christmas. 



Montréal, in more ways than one, is etched on my bones. I love this city, and it grieves me to consider its state of spiritual brokenness. 

I, like many others, see so clearly that Montréal needs hope, and it needs Christmas. Not the Christmas narrative currently espoused by our culture- but one of everlasting joy, deliverance and peace. 

Yesterday, as thousands of us stood and dwelled together in song, I saw hope for renewal in this city. I saw how the Christmas message has the power to unite us and transform, and how corporate worship invites us as a community to encounter the living God, made flesh on that holy night. 

Heavenly Father, hear our song and prayer. May this people and city see the beauty of Your person this Christmas. 


A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new glorious morn
Fall on your knees
O hear the angels' voices!

Comments

Popular Posts