12 dates of Christmas

And here we are, Christmas Eve, with all its candlelight and tinsel and carols and feasting. Our Christmas has been merry and bright so far- and we are enjoying our last sips of merlot, finishing up last minute parcel wrapping, and softly humming the hymns sung at our church service hours ago. My sister and I will soon bundle up to sleep by the tree light, with the glorious smell of fir and recently blown out candles. Christmas morn is so close, so near- and we are all basking in thankfulness and anticipation for the truths we celebrate in this season. 

I will have many things to write about this year's festivities- but I will do so when things have settled down a bit, and when I have had time to savour them for a time, and tuck them deep in my memory. 

For days now, I have been meaning to share about my time on the West Coast with the boy, but never got around to doing it. So I thought I would jot down a couple thoughts on our "twelve dates of Christmas" tonight, briefly recollecting precious moments I spent with his hand in mine. 



I had seen the whole 'twelve dates' idea on a few blogs I admire a while ago. It thought it was quite fitting for the two of us, who wholeheartedly love this season. When I suggested it to him before I flew westward, he immediately was on board (he happens to be a master date planner, one of the millions of things I love about him). 

I must add- though we will soon be celebrating three years of dating, we had never been together in the days before Christmas, except in Nuremberg and Prague in 2015, as mere friends with a burgeoning crush. This year was the first time we were able to plan a visit in mid-December, and it was magical. There is something profoundly nostalgic, romantic and holy in the days leading up to Christmas, and I am so grateful we could share those days together. I will forever cherish them. 

So, without further ado, here is a glimpse into our trip through our twelve dates of Christmas. 

On the first date of Christmas... 
We went to the bookstore, and the boy bought me my first store-bought eggnog latte. We  spent hours reading by each other (the last Harry Potter book for me, a socio-political commentary for him), sipping that sweet & warm & creamy goodness. I loved looking up to my sweet boy's eyes perusing a thick hardcover (his favourite)- Christmas jazz playing softly, customers whooshing through the bookshop looking for holiday gifts, and soft raindrops blowing in from the Pacific grey sky. Heaven, really. 



On the second date of Christmas... 
We got all dressed up and drove downtown for dinner and show by the Arts Club Theatre Company, gifted to us by his sweet parents. His family went most years during his childhood- and musicals are the sound of Christmas to him, which I find to be a precious tradition. Quite coincidently, this year's play was Beauty and The Beast- which P had once been cast in during his high school drama years (he was Cogsworth, isn't that the funniest thing?). I could not help but beg him to repeat his lines in character for me after the show- and he sure made me laugh when he acquiesced. The evening was absolutely beautiful, and the play was so well crafted. We talked about it all the way home. 

On the third date of Christmas... 
We watched 'The Family Stone,' my favourite Christmas movie, all bundled up under a mountain of blankets and warm drinks for sipping. He had never watched it before, but loved it. How could you not? It's a Christmas banquet of New England affluence, 1990s turtlenecks, family drama and unexpected love. The best. Nothing beats a favourite movie in his arms. 



On the fourth date of Christmas... 
On a blustery day, we went for a drive around the Fraser Valley and oohed and aahed at the mountains in the distance, the many beautiful houses we passed and different Christmas light arrangements. Our favourite season tunes were playing- and he, of course, made me chuckle with his attempts to impersonate Andrea Bocelli's angelic voice. 





On the fifth date of Christmas... 
We walked through Fort Langley, its streets dressed in holiday style. I love that little corner of the universe, a small village community with quaint cafĂ©s and shops and restaurants. It was so fun strolling with the boy, peeking into our favourite stores and searching for last-minute stocking stuffers. He walked me to a pedestrian bridge over railroad tracks and we stayed there and chatted, watching the sunset hit the mountains in the distance. 

On the sixth date of Christmas... 
We went wine tasting at a local winery and berry farm. It was so exciting to choose from a variety of white, red, dessert, cider and mulled wines to sip by the fire, in the best company. 





On the seventh date of Christmas... 
We brunched at L'Abattoir- a gourmet eaterie in the heart of Vancouver's Gastown. Good coffee, the best currant scones and clotted cream to be had, poached eggs and pork belly, breakfast burger... we ate and drank with much relish. 
We then walked around (stuffed) through the streets of the neighbourhood, eyeing its Victorian buildings, art galleries and acclaimed whistling Steam Clock. 








On the eighth date of Christmas... 
P made me a homemade eggnog latte (the best recipe ever) and we watched another two Christmas favourites: The Holiday and The Sound of Music. And I've got to say... doesn't his mother have the most beautiful style of Christmas decoration? The house is absolutely dreamy all decked up. 





On the ninth date of Christmas... 
We went to Le MarchĂ© St George, a French-inspired cafĂ© and general store in Mount Pleasant (read about it here) for a spiced chai latte and Paris fog. It was a magical spot, with fairy lights and the cosiest welcome. We reminisced our many memories together, and exchanged about our favourite family Christmas traditions. Pure bliss. 








On the tenth date of Christmas...  
The boy brought me to one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the country, The Acorn. Such a treat. It was really a feast for all senses- and I could not believe a plate could be so stylish, whole and delicious all at once. And just look at that handsome date of mine. I'm a lucky girl, I know it. 




On the eleventh date of Christmas...
We grabbed some ice cream at our favourite Vancouver parlour, Earnest's Ice Cream. Gingerbread for him, London Fog for me. 





On the twelfth date of Christmas... 
We had initially planned on going to the light show at the Capilano Suspension Bridge, but rain rendered that date undesirable (hello, Vancouver)- so we drove to the lookout of Cypress Mountain in North Vancouver and enjoyed a rather dark and wet view of the city from afar. We laughed and laughed because of how pitiful we looked at that point- sopping wet, cold and surveying a rather blurry view. But we were so, so, unspeakably happy. Together we were, and that was more than enough. 




For now, we are back in our separate homes and families and coasts, but our sweet times spent together this Christmas run deep in our minds and hearts, cherished forever. I love this season, and I love that boy.  And I'm so thankful Christmas offers much space to create the fondest memories. 

Merry Christmas, to you and yours. 

Comments

Unknown said…
YES you two are so cute. Also the last photo kills me. So good.
Jess said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you! xox

Popular Posts