belgium

Let's talk Belgium. This was my first time in Belgium (other than the airport and having taken a train through it once when heading to Holland), and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Belgians are fun and kind people, and we delighted in their hospitality when visiting Brugge, Ghent and Brussels. I also loved hearing Flemish (especially in Brugge and Ghent, as Brussels seemed further francophone), which seemed like a particularly interesting and beautiful language to me.

First, I must admit we quickly found ourselves consuming chocolate, fries, waffles, cheese and beer on repeat when in Belgium. We got to the point that the mere sight of any of these items was repulsive to us (and trust me, it took a lot to get to that point because YUM). Make sure to try all of these delicacies when visiting the land of the Belgians.





Brugge was my one of my absolute favorite parts of the trip. This was such a charming town, with its medieval buildings with typically Belgian crow-stepped gables, as well as is cobblestone streets and canals. The area definitely was touristy (and I didn't wonder why!) so I'm grateful we were not there during high season. I can't imagine how crowded the market place would've been, and how long we would've waited at museums! 

We really made our way around this little town. We visited the Markt, Belfry Tower (and got a great view from the top, although I was so scared as I climbed up the narrow staircase!), chocolate museum, Church of Our Lady, Basilica of the Holy Blood, Sint Janshuis Mill, the oldest pub in Brugge (Vlissinghe), etc. I really fell in love with Brugge, and promised myself I'd go back one day. 

















Next, we were off to Ghent! We were only in Ghent two days, and truly were enchanted by it. It is a University town, filled with students enjoying the street music by the canals, and sipping apperos on the terrasses. Ghent had a great energy to it; and is described as a cultural hub due to its diversity of restaurants and exciting nightlife. It was so nice seeing the coffee shops where students studied, walking near the campus, and trying out interesting restos. We walked hours and hours along the canals, just looking at the beautiful medieval architecture. What I loved most about Ghent has its awe-inspiring cathedrals and medieval buildings, which were perfectly visible from our hostel in the city center (see first picture). I was without words!












Last but not least, Brussels. We learned about Tintin, saw the Grand Place (absolutely stunning albeit a bit overwhelming with the amount of people there), Manneken Pis (which honestly was quite underwhelming, given the fact it was dressed up and I couldn't see it from where I was in the crowd), the beautiful royal palace, Mont des Arts, the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert and the indoor vintage market. I really loved the Magritte Museum, though I came to the conclusion I am not a big fan of surrealist art! It was interesting nonetheless. Brussels Park was also lovely, and we enjoyed an afternoon there just chatting and reading. 

Really, there is so much to do in Brussels, and I feel as though we just scratched the surface during our time there. I would describe this city as very cosmopolitan, lively and detailed. The architecture is so ornate, especially in the Grand Place which was a feast to the eyes! 








It's funny writing this a week after I got home. I am so thankful for the traveling we were graced with. I know I will start itching to get back onto a plane and off somewhere new in a short matter of time. But, for now, I can't think of a place I would rather be than home. Belgium and France were wonderful, wonderful places to visit, and I know I will see more of them in the future. Funny how traveling simultaneously quenches your thirst for adventure and wandering, whilst making you appreciate and enjoy what is familiar just a little more than when you left. 

With tons of memories fresh in my mind, I have enjoyed getting back into my routine and savoring my city and community. It's good to be home, sweet home!

Comments

Popular Posts