traveling

I'm at my gate, waiting for boarding to begin. I can't believe I'm going to see my baby sister so soon! CUE MUSIC. (yes, I realize that's a love song and thus a bit creepy, but let's not overthink this). 

I haven't seen Lau since the end of August, and I am so looking forward to asking her about what she has learned, see her navigate through Paris, meet her people, goof off and dig deep together. I am so thankful to have a sister, and I'm especially thankful that sister is her. 

The last time I went to Paris was in 2008, at the prime age of 11. Needless to say, I think I'll be seeing La Ville Lumière from a vastly different perspective this time around. Funnily enough, I feel like it is only hitting me just now that I am leaving on vacation; the chaos of finals really consumed my mind the past few weeks, but I am now on full-on vacation mode and so ready to immerse myself in French and Belgian living for the next three weeks. Gah, I'm so thankful. 

I am fortunate to have parents that highly value travel, and who encouraged my sister and I to prioritize discovering the world. We didn't have an opulent lifestyle by any means, but traveling was a core dream and vision in the family, and a priority that was planned for. Of course, I recognize a notion of privilege was and is involved in traveling, and I don't take that for granted. But I nonetheless think traveling is not solely a question of means but also of value systems. And I'm grateful my parents held that value dear to their heart, and that I can say I do now, as well! 

I saw this tag from Girlswanderlust and thought it would be a fun way to kick off travels today, and nod to Earth day yesterday! Here we go!

Which countries of the world have you already visited?
France, England, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Holland, Italy, the Vatican, Slovenia, Czech Republic, United States/ Puerto Rico, Mexico, British Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Senegal, Cambodia, Viet Nam, China, Belize. (and Canada, OBVIOUSLY). 
I have also technically been to the Canary Islands (Spain), Belgium, Turkey, but I say you need to actually leave the airport and discover a bit about the place to count it as visited (right?!).


Piran, Slovenia. - photo taken by the boy
Which destination is the number one of your bucket list?
ALL OF THEM. I honestly can't narrow down my list (I have the most obnoxiously long list of countries to visit on my phone, and I'm slowly coming to the realization I don't have enough years to live to make this possible). 
Top of my list as of late: Jordan, Morocco, Iceland and Nepal. 

What is your most ideal holiday? 
I really enjoy switching it up. I don't love the idea of always going to the same place or taking the same type of vacation: some trips involve backpacking, adventure and lots of culture shock, while others involve laying at the beach with nothing to decide other than what bathing suit to wear. To me, both are equally wonderful and important. 

Which place did you think was so special that you would love to go back there sometime? 
This is a tie between Germany, where I lived for 6 months, made lifelong friends, met the boy, and where I experienced much personal and spiritual growth (Germany involved lots of growing up for me!)- and Slovenia, where the boy and I shared our first kiss!

Show us your nicest (unedited) holiday photo! 
I couldn't choose! But here is a beautiful one of Sa Pa, Vietnam. 



Did you have to travel for work sometime? If yes. where? 
Not really. I guess you could say my trip to Belize in November (read about it here and here) was tied to my work at a youth center, but I would otherwise say my traveling has otherwise only been for leisure or school!

With who are you mostly going on holiday?
My family! Love them. I am however now in a season where I am increasingly traveling with friends, which is exciting!

With who would you like to go on a vacation sometime?
I'm excited for future travels with the boy! We traveled together in Europe before dating, but now that we are in a long distance relationship, traveling is mostly just getting to one another's cities!

Who or what would you take with you to an uninhabitated island? 
Loved ones, my Bible and lots and lots of books.

Would you rather go to an amusement park or a zoo?
100% zoo. I am NOT a rollercoaster kind of person. Traumatized as a child. (you can ask me about if over a coffee sometime)

Would you rather go on a ski- or a sun vacation?
I love skiing, but I have to say that this past long winter is making me want to NEVER see snow again. So as of now, SUN. However, skiing in the Alps is something I would love to do someday (I can't believe I didn't when I lived in Germany!)

What is your nicest holiday memory? 
A hike in Hawaii with my family a few years ago. We got to a clearing overlooking the ocean and the coast, and we were all completely speechless, in awe of God's artistry. See picture below.


What is your worst holiday memory?
Two memories:
The first involves camping, rain, and a floating mattress at 2 am.
The second involves getting to Germany alone, and being rushed to a hospital with a ripped Achilles tendon.
Not fun.

To which countries are you going this year?
France and Belgium- RIGHT NOW (in fact, they just called me for boarding! Ah!)

Where would you never go on holoday?
I honestly couldn't say. I want to see alllllllllll the countries.

Okay, I really got to go guys. So, instead of closing off this post with my rambling, here is some wisdom from St Augustine:

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. -St Augustine


À bientot, mes amis! 

Comments

Popular Posts