the waiting


I mentioned at the beginning of the month that I would be observing Advent this year (read here). I have so far been immeasurably blessed by the exercise. I did not realize to what extent I needed a tangible reminder to refocus and fix my eyes on the message of the gospel, this story hope and reconciliation, during the Christmas season. I have obviously been one to say "keep Christ in Christmas", but I did not value the anticipation for the coming of the Saviour. The waiting. 

Henri Nouwen writes, "Waiting is a period of learning. The longer we wait, the more we hear about Him for whom we are waiting." Advent has allowed me not only to wait for Christ, but also to learn and understand more about Him in the process. 

Humble, coming as a small, helpless babe.

The promise fulfilled, the One they had been waiting for, for 2000 years. 

Merciful and good, appearing and "the soul felt its worth". 

All sufficient sacrifice, the One to restore humanity with Himself. 

In the waiting, may we be reminded of who He is and what He has done. 

He is the God of miracles and beauty, and He has come. What good news, what great joy to all people! 

Let us be expectant children who eagerly anticipate the coming of Christ, knowing this arrival means grace and restoration for all.  

I love this common prayer that I discovered through She Reads Truth this past weekend. 

Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and forever. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts