writing as a deep well

I came across these words about writing by the beloved Henri Nouwen. His reflections spoke loudly to me. 
“Writing is not just jotting down ideas. Often we say: ‘I don’t know what to write. I have no thoughts worth writing down.’ But much good writing emerges from the process of writing itself. As we simply sit down in front of a sheet of paper and start to express in words what is on our minds or in our hearts, new ideas emerge, ideas that can surprise us and lead us to inner places we hardly knew were there. One of the most satisfying aspects of writing is that it can open in us deep wells of hidden treasures that are beautiful for us as well as for others to see.
At times, I get so caught up in what to write about that, ironically, I don't end up writing at all. I quite appreciate Nouwen's gracious reminder that writing is, in fact, a discipline (a spiritual one, no less!). It requires nearly watertight commitment. If I only chose to write when I had a new and dazzling idea, I'm afraid I would not write all too often. 

This reflection reminded me that the process of writing is, in fact, good in itself — even when I don't quite know where I'm heading as I bring pen to paper. Writing bears fruit even when the destination is nebulous. It may seem aimless, but never fails to lead to unexpected joys, treasures and abundance. 

I value this craft deeply. And I'm grateful for reminders like this, that invite me to bolster my commitment and carve out the time to write. 

Finch's Market, a beautiful Vancouver coffee shop which seems to me like the perfect place to write for an afternoon!

Comments

Popular Posts