tout et rien

These are the days for knit sweaters and cheeks that look ripe apples. These are the days for new candles, new books. These are the days for Hollow Coves on brisk mornings, Edith Piaf in the rain, Sufjan or Sigur Rós when I'm sad, Devotchka in daylight, Ella & Louis at all times, Josh Garrels or Chopin's nocturnes to feel close to God. These are the days for wishing my apartment housed a piano, so I could once again press down the ivory keys and hear stardust emerge from them in song. These are the days for pumpkin lattes topped with cinnamon and nutmeg, and steaming mugfuls of chai. These are the days for the embrace of family, filling the ache I've carried since June. These are the days for gratitude around a Thanksgiving meal, hand in hand with my tribe. These are the days for Gilmore Girls and Anne Lamott. These are the days for savoring my last couple months in New York City, whilst slowly preparing my heart for an important move westward. These are the days for plans to go upstate, to witness the splendor of the leaves. These are the days for butternut squash soup and pumpkin loaf, made by my mama and smelling like home. These are the days for ambling around Manhattan, heart swelling with gratitude at the sight of bedecked stoops, fallen leaves, and piles of gourds for sale. These are the days for falling asleep to the whistle of the wind, so loud it sometimes bangs on my window. These are the days of October, in full swing. 

The Fall truly inspires me, largely as I view it almost like a homecoming within myself - like my soul feels most at ease in this time of the year. Since this season sparks such wonder- why not channel my sense of inspiration on the blog? It has been a long, long time since I last did a tout et rien post, where I share articles, images, posts, music [anything] that inspire me or pique my curiosity. For those who are new around these parts, this segment's title is the French equivalent of "everything and nothing" - because, at their core, these posts are a reminder to take life's little and big things seriously (whether to delight in them, grieve them, learn from them, savor them, deconstruct them, or celebrate them). 


Here goes it. 

  • An article about my team's work in the Global South! I was so thankful to be apart of the editing process. 
  • Variety Studio's video series "Actors on Actors" is outstanding. Hearing famed actors and actresses discuss their craft has fascinated me, and this particular conversation was just delightful (I mean- what a duo of class acts!).
  • Mary Oliver's Song for Autumn -never, ever gets old. 
  • This Fall bouquet, from this blog. My heart did a little dance.
Credit: Pinterest, Claudia Lapena
  • Exciting news in New York City!
  • Very, very curious to see how these discussions affect the Canadian elections (tomorrow!). 
  • Looking forward to watching this documentary about the borough I call home. 
  • Have you ever wondered what Giverny (Monet's home) in the Fall looks like? Find out here
  • Sweet potato cake, a Southern recipe I'm so curious to try.
  • I've long loved the author Shauna Niequist -and this conversation about writing just confirmed why.
  • After recently reading this book about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, this article by one of her male law clerks who became a temporary stay-at-home dad was particularly interesting and moving. 
  • Goodness - this looks like the perfect living room to light a candle in and curl up on the couch with a good book and soft jazz. Also: I have major rug envy.
  • Credit: Design Mom
  • Perhaps I am going a liiiiitle overboard making pumpkin recipes these days, but I just can't get enough! Truly, these cookies, these scones, this oatmeal, this gnocci - were all delightful.  
  • Fascinating - Why is America so Obsessed with Ivy Leave Schools
  • These earthen mugs are beautiful. 
Credit: Apartment Therapy 
Have a beautiful week. 

Comments

Popular Posts