october 31st, two holidays



Happy Halloween! Wishing you all a strong sense of community spirit, warm toes and much candy! I can't wait to see all little city kids trick-or-treating 'round this city, from building to building, stoop to stoop. 

Since the calendar announced October, I have been utterly spellbound by the city's new attire: neighborhoods are filled to the brim with autumnal charm, with stoops covered in every possible arrangement of pumpkins and squash and gossamer and mums. It's something else, it really is. In the name of October, I've been reading Anne of Green Gables, watching much Gilmore Girls and enjoying long walks under crimson leaves while listening to "Autumn Leaves" by Nat King Cole and "Danke Shoen" by Wayne Newton and "Autumn in New York" by Ella & Louis. The other day, I woke early and made time for a long walk in Central Park before heading to the office: when my eyes first caught sight of the Central Park Mall, my eyes welled up with tears (of the happiest kind). It was stunning to walk under that canopy of golden leaves -ever so slowly, taking it all in. 

















Halloween will look different this year than most. In the past few years, I've simply been home studying and helping my mom and dad distribute candies to the littles coming by. My neighborhood in the Bronx does not have much of a trick-or-treating culture, so there will be none of that this year (nor any studying, for that matter!). I did celebrate Halloween with my team last week in Harlem with a pumpkin decorating party, complete with pumpkin spice lattes, soup, muffins, cookies and apple cider, too. I certainly got a taste of the festivities during weekend visits to Sleepy Hollow with my roommate Carissa and Cold Spring with friends Audrey and Elizabeth (more on these outings in future posts). Today, however, I will be in the office sipping dark roast coffee, working away and doing very little Halloween-inspired activity. However, I am eagerly awaiting for my sweet mama's arrival this afternoon, and I am completely bewitched at the thought of our time together over the weekend! She has a conference at Columbia tomorrow, but made much space for a lot of uninterrupted girl time- and I am so thankful. We definitely won't be able to distribute chocolate bars and bonbons as we usually would- but I've got an idea or two which will make this Halloween a memorable one, that's for sure. 






And there's more than one thing to celebrate on this rather gloomy day of October 31st. Happy Reformation Day to many of my friends who believe! I realize that not all my friends who "believe" are Christians and that, furthermore, not all Christians espouse the theological doctrines resulting from the Reformation... but I think it's a mighty important event to highlight. 

Many forget or have no idea that October 31st is a very momentous day in the Christian calendar. This historic moment has hugely impacted the lives of millions- myself included. The way I speak of and understand my faith would look very, very differently had October 31st 1517 not happened. Because of the reformers' faithfulness to the authority and truth of God's Word, I am a Christian who has a Bible on my nightstand that can be read day after day in language I understand. I can speak about my faith with an understanding of the mercy God has had on me, a sinner. I do not have to "strive" to be holy, but can freely find rest in God's lavish and unmerited grace. 


What a blessed truth that we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, not of works, that no one could boast. 





Sola Scriptura
Sola Fide
Sola Gratia
Sola Christus 
Sola Deo Gloria 

So, to the trick-or-treaters, stoop decorators, candy distributors and to those whose lives have new meaning thanks to the 95 theses nailed to a church door in Wittenberg, Germany in 1517: I wish a happy, happy day to you. 





Comments

Popular Posts