merry music

I have long thought November was the gloomiest of the months- all grey and busy and cold. 

This year, however, November proved to be quite sweet and full, with:
  • Friendships (old and new) over lingering peppermint teas and salted caramel lattes
  • Bundled up walks in my favourite neighbourhoods
  • Homework (a lot of it) by a lit vanilla soy candle
  • Wool sweaters and scarves (new ones, thrifted, and old ones taken out from where I left them last year) 
  • The beginnings of a Gilmore Girls obsession (and wondering what I have been doing all these years)
  • Books and books (A Wrinkle in Time and Life of the Beloved were two highlights)
  • Digging into Hebrews in the mornings
  • The wonder that comes with the first powder snowfall
  • Anticipation for Christmas, the end of the semester, and all the "what-nows?" that come with graduating in a few short months 

As many of you know, I'm a complete Christmas enthusiast (to a fault? no way! .....) and start looking forward to Christmas early, early on. Of course, the realities of being a University student mean that the anticipation for Christmas is somewhat quenched by paper writing and studying. 

A simple way I make the most of the season leading up to Christmas, however, is listening to merry music. For Advent, I mostly listen to reverent music that furthers my worship and points my eyes to Christ, my hope. However, I don't oppose secular Christmas tunes, as long as I feel they aren't distracting me from the heart of this season. 

I thought I would share some of my favourite festive albums today. There is a wealth of Christmas music out there, and I enjoy a wide variety of styles- so I hope a thing or two will please you here. I find most of my music on Apple Music, but shared links to Amazon, Spotify, etc. below!




Happy listening, to you and yours!
Good singles include Tenenbaum (Paper Kites), Go Tell it on the Mountain and Comfort & Joy (Simon & Garfunkel), Blue Christmas (The Lumineers). 

My boyfriend, oft-called "P" or "the boy" on this corner of the web, would staunchly disapprove of my omitting Kenny G from this list- but I just can't get into him! But, for P's sake, you can check Kenny G's Holiday Hits, too. 

Wishing you all warm drinks, cozy evenings-in and much rest with loved ones this weekend!

Comments

Kenzie said…
You started Gilmore Girls!?! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to discuss it all with you! And, BIG yes to all of your Christmas music! What a great collection of cozy, festive tunes! I highly recommend "I Pray on Christmas" by Harry Connick Jr., "It Snowed" by Meaghan Smith and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by James Taylor. Looking forward to seeing you soon :)
Jess said…
Kenzie- yes, yes, yes we must chat all about it! ...and i love the music you recommended. It would seem we have very similar taste! xox

Popular Posts