evangelism

During a wedding a few weeks ago, I had a really interesting conversation with my cousins about the "e" word. Evangelism. The word has so many connotations, often associated with the further negative realities of indoctrination and cultural genocide. To be clear, I am not referring to these processes in this post. Rather, this is a reflection on the Great Commission, which all Christians are called to by Jesus Himself in Matthew 28:16-20, namely to "[...] go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

If I am completely honest, I tend to avoid using the word "evangelism" in my cultural context, and opt for expressions like "sharing" or "witnessing". The hurts and injustices experienced by indigenous populations at the hands of Christian missionaries in Québec's history have tainted the term. The abuse of clergy members in Québécois families led to a rejection of Christian influence in the 1960s in the province I call home. The term "evangelism" is thus perceived as being a process by which hegemonic leaders force their beliefs and practices upon a people group who wants nothing to do with such values.

This is obviously far from God's heart.



Over the past couple of years, I have been wrestling through how to seek God and remain committed to the Great Commission in my life choices. Ultimately, I have often asked myself how, as a Christian, my life of evangelism can take place without drifting toward a colonial approach.

I lamented this tension with my cousins the other week. So there we were, in the middle of a wedding reception, asking ourselves how evangelism can be done both boldly and holistically.

Quickly, the famous words of an important church father, Francis of Assisi, were brought up:


"Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

When I first heard this appeal a while ago, I was immediately infatuated. This made sense to me- why should we assume that evangelism consists of proclamation alone? Why can't evangelism be about living as an alternative people, and allowing the gospel to be shared through people's curiosity rather than us going to them with pre-prepared explanations of "the gospel in five-steps" or "the gospel in a nutshell" ... and other evangelistic tools (read: worldless bookhow to use a bridge, etc.)

But the reality is that I have often used St. Francis' words to allow myself to be passive.

It is tempting for many of us (me first!) to say that proclamation won't be our thing; that we will evangelize (with words) if and only if the door opens during a conversation. We otherwise will just try to live according to biblical precepts and pray that this draws people around us to Christ. This will avoid coming across as insensitive, pushy or colonial.

... But how can the good news of Christ be shared without using words?

The gospel is a story. It is the story of a beginning, fall, birth, life, death, resurrection and promise.

Stories require words.

The gospel is inevitably, inherently and irrevocably verbal. We can't escape associating words to it.



When I acknowledge my fear of rejection and discomfort, as well as my idols of reputation and people-pleasing... I can admit to myself that I need words to explain who Christ was, what He has done/ is doing/ will do.

My cousin suggested that the words of St. Francis should not necessarily be dismissed (and, to be fair, I do not know the context in which he shared these words, which obviously affects my understanding). He does, after all, make an important point that our entire lives can be evangelistic and missional. Deeds are an intrinsic part of our work as witnesses of the good news.

The story of the gospel can be pointed to through the Christian community's counter-cultural character, involvement, ethics, politics... but knowing and understanding salvation through Christ theologically will necessarily require words too.

May we know these words, love them, and proclaim them.


How, then, can they call on the One they have not believe in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 
- Romans 10:14

Comments

Popular Posts