some thoughts on lent

The Lenten season is upon us! Over the years, I have really come to value this 40-day period in the Christian calendar. Although I have faint memories of my parents observing Lent when I was young, this was not practiced as a family nor emphasized in our home church. It was really only in my early adulthood that I came to discover this season of fasting and repentance before Easter. 

Now, I feel strongly that Lent prepares me for the celebration of Christ's resurrection. In 2021, while I was in the throes of wedding planning in a pandemic, I didn't observe Lent. And I experienced a distinct lack of focus and readiness--and of reverence and joy!--come Easter. I remain convinced that this was, in large part, because I had not spent the period beforehand in intentional confession, fasting, prayer and worship. My heart was ill-prepared for Easter. That year, I recognized the gift of Lent afresh. You can read about that experience here

I'm still learning. Every year, I feel as though I am coming to a clearer, fuller understanding of Lenten practices. Last week, my dear friend Sarah, who is a member of an Anglican church, sent me this beautiful sermon by her priest (0:25-20:45). His explanation of Lent was deeply compelling to me. In a way, it highlighted an aspect of Lent I've been missing this whole time. 

I think my temptation is to think that Lent is really only about fasting from something, thus submitting myself to some form of suffering. The idea behind this, ultimately, is to better identify with Christ's suffering on the cross. 

That's not all wrong. There's a level at which this is exactly what Lent is about! This is a period in which the global Church dwells upon its sinfulness and weakness, and its deep need for Christ. Through fasting, we allow our physical bodies to experience a discomfort or loss, so as to remind ourselves that, without Christ, we are dust. And I'll add: as we abstain from things materially, our spiritual cries and prayers are intensified and clearer. We grasp our desperation for our returning King all the more.  

I don't want to scoff at this understanding of Lent: Fasting and penitence and recognizing both our weakness and God's suffering are all wrapped up in this tradition. But I think I was missing a key point here, which was emphasize in the sermon: 

In the Lenten season, we fast, so that we can feast upon the Scriptures and prayers. 

The idea isn't just to deprive ourselves, but rather to remove a physical distraction (and need), to better feast upon our bread from heaven. 

So I guess there are a few things I'm doing a bit differently this year, in light of this newfound understanding. Perhaps they'll encourage you in this Lenten season!

  1. Fasting. I'm fasting this year, but trying not to make this my main focus--and not only for the reasons listed above. I'm a fairly competitive and success-driven person (any other Enneagram threes out there?) who struggles not to conceptualize spiritual practices like fasting a "challenge." By reframing my fast as a part of Lent and not its goal, I am more attuned to the significance of this season in the liturgical calendar. 
  2. Feasting on Sabbath. From its earliest days, the Church has declared Sunday as a joyful feast day commemorating Christ's Resurrection. Fasting is therefore not traditionally practiced on Sundays--and the six Sundays of Lent are no exception! On the Lord's day (or your Sabbath day), I think it important to pause our fasting to lavishly celebrate Christ's defeat of death and sin. 
  3. Rooting my mornings in Scripture reading and prayer. I am continuing my daily devotional reading of New Morning Mercies, by Paul David Tripp, and spending additional time reading the Psalms. Tripp's devotional resource quite heavily emphasizes the condition of sin and our need for God's mercy and grace, which turned out to be quite fitting for the Lenten season! In the week leading up to Easter, I will focus on the Gospel accounts of Christ's Last Supper, arrest, trial, crucifixion and death. And I'll read of His resurrection come Easter Sunday!
  4. Using the Lectio 365 prayer resource daily. I can't recommend this enough. Lectio 365 is an app that provides a guided prayer for you to listen every morning and evening. This involves much meditation on Scripture and time to pray. Paul and I have loved doing this together. 
  5. Reading some Lenten poetry. There are beautiful poems out there grappling with the realities of sin, death, prayer, and even Lent as a whole. I'm trying to make space to read them as much as I can in this string of weeks before Easter. 
I hope these thoughts are an encouragement! I invite you to think about how observing Lent, both through fasting physically and through feasting on God's Word and prayer, could prepare your heart for the Church's upcoming celebrations of Easter. I have a feeling it will be a tremendous blessing to you. 

On that note, I'll leave you with this beautiful poem by George Herbert on prayer. I was so moved by his descriptions of prayer. The church's banquet, God's breath in man, heaven in ordinary, church-bells beyond the stars head, the soul's blood. . . Oh, the beauty! 

Prayer (I)

by George Herbert

Prayer the church's banquet, angel's age,
God's breath in man returning to his birth,
The soul in paraphrase, heart in pilgrimage,
The Christian plummet sounding heav'n and earth
Engine against th' Almighty, sinner's tow'r,
Reversed thunder, Christ-side-piercing spear,
The six-days world transposing in an hour,
A kind of tune, which all things hear and fear;
Softness, and peace, and joy, and love, and bliss,
Exalted manna, gladness of the best,
Heaven in ordinary, man well drest,
The milky way, the bird of Paradise,
Church-bells beyond the stars heard, the soul's blood,
The land of spices; something understood.

Comments

Popular Posts