the reformation and nuance

I fell upon this old blogpost of mine a few weeks ago, and it gave me pause. I seem to be in a bit of a phase of revisiting old pieces of writing of mine, often recognizing my thoughts and conclusions have shifted--sometimes marginally, sometimes significantly. I am still very much forming my reflections on the implications of Reformation Day (celebrated earlier in the fall, on October 31st), but I felt oddly uncomfortable with my unabashed glee about the Reformation in that unearthed blogpost!

Mere weeks ago, when I saw pictures of many Christians celebrating the Reformation--and generally foregoing the community celebrations of All Hallow’s Eve or All Saints Day to do so--I felt more perplexed than gleeful. 

So, on this rather wintry morning, in the name of pursuing nuance in my opinions (!), I thought I would share some new thoughts on the Reformation and its celebration. 

I think it’s fair to say, as a Protestant Christian myself, my faith has been shaped by this historical event. Because of that day of October 31st 1517, I have freer access to Scripture, and read it in the language that speaks best to my heart. My church community has a deep understanding of grace, and although its costliness is preached, the mercy and freedom of the Gospel are at the forefront of my Christian imagination. I recognize that, as a believer, sin obscures this life but I cannot live outside of the grace of God. From a young age, I was taught that I was justified by faith alone--that my abilities wouldn't earn my salvation but that my reconciliation with God depended wholly on the life and work of Jesus. Over the years, I have looked up to countless saints who inspire my view of faith and life, but I recognize the unique mediatorship of Jesus. And although I personally struggle with this at times, confession is not tied up in senses of guilt nor shame…And the enumeration of my sins is not required for my forgiveness!

When I read the words Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria (Scripture alone, Christ alone, faith alone, grace alone, and glory to God alone). . .I am reminded of the heart of the Christian faith, which I was born into and have grown to call my own over the years. These words are a sweet reminder to me of the good gift the Gospel is to me, and to many more like me. 

I am reminded that the translated Bible on my nightstand is a gift I shouldn't take for granted. That my good deeds and works won't save me, and that Christ alone conquered sin and death. 

When I read Luther's words, "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever," I recognize that, in many ways, the Reformation was a movement for freedom. Through it burst forth much joy, curiosity, hope and delight. 

But my quarrel with a rose-colored celebration of the Reformation lies herein: 

I belong foremost to Christ’s Church, not the Protestant Church. And Christ's Church is that of any believer who confesses the resurrected Christ as Lord. . .which includes Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox Christians alike. 

I’m growing increasingly aware that division within Christ’s body is something to grieve, not celebrate. Even if we might believe the Reformation led to forward progress and deepened biblical understanding--and, mind you, necessary changes--we ought to remember these reforms came at a cost. Division in Christ's body is not something I think we should rejoice in. 

Scripture calls me to boast in Jesus alone. And I can't help but sense a certain tone of boastfulness and condescension is much of the Reformation Day celebration I've witnessed. 

Instead, I will celebrate unity within the present Church and throughout Church history. The feast of All Hallow's Eve anticipates All Saint’s Day on November 1st. All Saints' Day is a beautiful opportunity to honour those who have walked the well-worn path of faith before us--including Martin Luther. I opt to highlight an event that is meaningful to more than just a faction of believers. Because I love the whole Church, not just (my) part of it.

I'm becoming more and more aware that we need to get comfortable in the space of "yes, and." The grey zone. The world of nuance. 

Yes, the Reformation led to important changes, challenged corruption, democratized the practice of the Christian faith. And its legacy is complicated. 

Yes, the reformers sought to simplify Christian worship, discourage idolatry and re-center Jesus. And their hostility to religious images tragically affected fine arts. 

Yes, the Reformation's gains include greater emphases on Scripture and fellowship and missions. And it also fostered significant ecclesial disunity, which I lament. 

You get the idea. 

The Reformation brought about good. I believe this! What the German monk uncovered in his Bible changed (and changes) lives. He boldly underscored the goodness and generosity of God and His Gospel afresh. 

But I also want to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's nudges in my own heart. . .and repent of any condescension and ignorance I've exhibited in glorifying a movement that has caused widespread division, confusion and violence. 

As I attempt to think critically about the Reformation, I am weary of my past celebrations. They paint a bit of an incomplete story. 

Since the reformers did greatly emphasize the Scriptures, I'll end with these words. . . 

"May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."  (Galatians 6:14)

Oh, Father--keep us close. 

Comments

Popular Posts