girls' trip i, manhattan

Well, it sure has been a while!

The past couple weeks following study break have been filled with paper writing, late night studying and the realization that the end of the semester is near (as is the end of my undergraduate degree!). It has been a stressful time, no doubt, but one marked by rising anticipation too. Today, right after handing in one of the most challenging dissertations of my University years, it dawned upon me that I really missed blogging. 

Writing for the pleasure of writing is a source of great joy to me, and that is why I care for this space so much. I value the gift of penning (... or typing!) the little and big things that comprise my life and thoughts and dreams. I find this to be challenging when school commitments are burdensome and time-consuming, but I hope to always make space for writing- no matter how arduous or frantic the season. I certainly struggle not to be entirely debilitated by school (and certainly was lately!) but today will relish in the delight of uninterrupted writing. 

Specifically, I want to share a bit about our girls' trip to Connecticut, New York City and Boston at the beginning of the month (though I will write about Boston in a next post). It was a blessing to spend time with my favourite women, my mama and sister. So much enjoyment, laughing, exploring, resting, indulging - moments I wanted to bottle up and keep forever. 


We drove to Greenwich, Connecticut, where my mom's relatives live. We spent time catching up over warm meals, reading by the fireplace (loved this book - a moving work of fiction set in Canada), walking around their neighbourhood tucked in the woods (which makes all my New England dreams come true), exploring thrift stores in their area. Their property is beautiful, surrounded with trees and creeks. The sight from the bedroom window when I woke up was reminiscent of Narnia- something of a dream. 

















A few days later, we took the train into New York City. I don't want to forget the excitement I felt at the sight of the skyline in the horizon. I am going to live here. I don't want to forget mom's soft tears either- how she has been navigating so many feelings in this process (pride, worry, happiness, grief). We got out at Grand Central Station, made our way to our housing in Gramercy, and walked to the United Nations Headquarters on 1st Avenue. 

Our tour of the headquarters was incredible. I was so inspired, so thankful for the imminent opportunity to work for this organization. We strolled through the endless corridors of international development and diplomacy and peace-keeping, diving into the history of the United Nations and the scope of issues that it is committed to. 










Following our tour, we grabbed lunch at Le Pain Quotidien (the perfect organic and season feast of good coffee, quinoa salad, avocado toast, quiches, etc. etc.).



We spent the afternoon strolling the area between the Flatiron and Washington Square Park, enchanted by Manhattan's energy, street musicians, green spaces, iconic cityscape. There is so much to explore (which is exactly what I plan on doing).  




For a time, we rested and chatted in Washington Square, our eyes roving University students studying on park benches, readers with coffee in hand, young families out to play- holding onto the promise of spring. 








We sought an afternoon dessert at DĹŤ, a confectionary on the tree-lined street of LaGuardia Place. The shop is a haven for guilty pleasures, offering a variety of raw sweets to those in need of a sweet-tooth fix (with pasteurized eggs, mind you, to make safe-to-eat cookie dough!). We shared scoops of classic chocolate chip, salted caramel and sugar cookie dought- and my goodness, we didn't even come close to finishing. 

To be frank, it was overly sweet for my taste, and I don't know that I would go back, but I certainly did not regret it. There was something nostalgic about the concept of the shop -whimsical, dainty- that reminded me of baking with my mom as a little girl, and being more interested in the dough that in the final product. 




Feeling near to a sugar coma, we walked to the East Village, and found refuge from the cold at Abraço, a vibrant Spanish-inspired espresso bar on 7th Street. We read thick novels while sipping warm drinks (my goodness, their cortado is one to go out of your way for)- enjoying lively music and friendly baristas. 





After coffee, we walked through the East Village, and its endless restaurants and bookshops and clothing boutiques and coffee bars. I took note of many places to check out when I go back (the list keeps growing and growing). As we walked amidst the welter of sound and people, we caught the sun setting over Manhattan- a winter watercolor sunset of blues and greys and yellows. 

We ended the day with some Motorino Pizza by candlelight (because that is just what you do). For those who are curious, their Margherita and Cremini Mushroom pies were delightful- a definite recommendation to anyone venturing the East Village. We told tales and laughed and I was so thankful for my mom and sister with whom I can completely let my guard down, and be myself. 


We woke early the next morning and the two headed to the West Village. Since I had a meeting at my future office a couple hours later (gah!), I stayed around Gramercy and explored. I went for breakfast at Citizens of Gramercy, and pulled out my journal and pen to write while enjoying some muesli and a soy milk latte. I will certainly be going back. 


I walked to UN-Women's Headquarters on 42nd, and met my team for the first time. They are so wonderful, and I will surely be writing much more about them in the future. Put simply, it was so inspiring to walk into that space, hearing about the past and current projects of development practitioners and putting faces to the names I have been messaging for months. I am so looking forward to joining them in the important work they are doing for women in the Global South. I ought not to think about it too much or my excitement will render me ineffective in my studying for the rest of the semester!



Following my meeting, I met Laurianne and mom at Murray's Bagels (a must) for a salmon and whitefish salad bagel. To biased-ole'-me, Montreal bagels will always be the best in the world- but I will admit Murray's truthfully provides stealthy competition. It made for an ideal lunch in Greenwich Village, and we caught up on our mornings before heading out to explore the West Village. 






Our eyes were soon watering from the wind and our coats were too thin to brave the winter cold cold much longer (we had optimistically anticipated more warmth like the previous day!)- and we agreed to postpone our exploration of Chelsea and the High Line 'til Summer. We found refuge in the subway and made our way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the Upper East Side instead. 

The MET - easily one of my favourite things to do in the city. I can't wait to spend countless hours wandering its exhibits and halls over the Summer and Fall, meeting with Monet's waterlilies and Degas' dancers and Hokusai's wave (and, and, and). Last time I went, I was with the boy (we'd gone to a wedding of dear friends in Philly, and had spent a day in Manhattan on the way home as one of our friends lives nearby in Jersey) and I remember thinking, "There will never be enough time to see it all." I hope to come closer to my goal of visiting every single one of its collections during my extended time in New York. I don't think I could ever tire of a museum stroll. 


Braving the cold, we walked along Central Park, watching New Yorkers and tourists enjoying the last of its winter demeanor as March winds blow the season away. For lack of time and space, I won't go on and on about how much I love Central Park - but for those who plan to visit Manhattan, it goes without saying that it ought to be a priority. 








Before heading out of the city, we shared yeast doughnuts in Gramercy - lemon poppy, cafĂ© au lait, mocha-almond - whilst contemplating our plans for the next leg of our trip (post to be shared soon!). You should know we also agreed our stomachs needed a long break, hence the many smoothies and salads and lentil soups yielded upon our arrival back in Montreal-ha!





Our feet tired and hearts full (from a mere two days!), we boarded a train from Grand Central as twilight made way over the city. I said my goodbyes to the island as she became smaller and smaller in the distance, thinking "I'll see you again New York City, you pretty thing." 


Comments

Popular Posts