relatable writing

To all you readers out there, would you not agree with me that is it a good, good feeling when an author is relatable- when the narration is genuine rather than phony or guarded? I can't help but hold onto the books (fiction and non-fiction) in which authors highlight their own blunders and vices. I love that sincere testimony to their humanity.

Better: ...when the author somehow manages to capture your thoughts exactly? All of a sudden, thoughts you assumed you were alone with are on the page in front of you, and you are not so alone anymore. It's like you have a new friend, uttering two of the most powerful yet comforting words in the English language: "me, too."

Best: ...when the author aimlessly pulls this struggle, confusion, or reflection you share into a beautiful and freeing paradigm-shift? You immediately think, "Why didn't I think of THAT?!" Not only are you not alone in this mess, but you now have a gateway out of it. Happy sigh.

In case you can't tell, I am drawing a lot of inspiration and encouragement from the books I am reading these days. I want to go out for coffee with these writers and characters, pick their brains and get a better glimpse into their soul-cries.

And, in the process, this has refreshed my understanding of the sacred work that is writing.
I am no expert: my writing is by no means sought-after or very visible, nor is it ground-breaking. I know my lack of grammatical proficiency probably sends many of you into crisis mode when you stop by this blog. I am simply someone who loves writing, hopes to improve and appreciates pouring my thoughts onto a blank page filled with opportunity. Often times, I have to remind myself that writing is the real reward. Not the popularity or demand.

Today, though, I pray my words would drip with compassion for the reader. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to spark hope in someone someday.



Comments

Popular Posts