tout et rien

Let me tell you about all the little things that make my mind think and my heart dance in these days of isolation.
  • Well, first things first, all.the.reading! I've delighted in My Life in France, a memoir documenting the work and life of my girl Julia Child (written with Alex Prud'homme). I've been ministered to by the contemplative practices detailed by Brother Lawrence in The Practice of the Presence of God. I've been floored by the testimony and theology of hospitality provided by Rosaria Butterfield in The Gospel Comes with a House Key (her heavy emphasis upon both reformed and covenantal theology lost me at times though, I should add). I have joined a cluster of friends in Montreal in studying Quebec writer Réjean Ducharme's L'avalé des avalées (I've enjoyed the audio version here) and the beautiful yet troubling nature of it all makes me miss home. 
  • Finally, I have to say: I so appreciate the many words and thoughts of Lore Ferguson Wilbert. Her new book Handle With Care, about redemptive and ministering touch, is so meaningful when distancing is our new normal. Here, she offers a theological framework for touch -filled with grace, vulnerability and a biblical approach to the body and embodiment. 
Credit: my Instagram!
  • In days where the news is all but encouraging, bless people like John Krasinski who attempt to make these gloomy days bright with an alternative news channel.
  • My sweet wordsmith friends Audrey and Elizabeth in New York City penned these beautiful liturgies addressing various anxieties that are common during COVID-19, as part of a project with Church of the City (which I miss so!). These words are a beautiful reminder of our hope.
  • This account on Instagram is a wonderful pick-me-up. 
  • Too, this piece on how coronavirus health cares workers who put their smiling pictures on their personal protective equipment for COVID-19 patients is so moving!
  • I have been revisiting works by and about Joan Didion lately -and I was especially enthralled by the Netflix documentary The Center Will Not Hold a couple months ago, which I highly recommend to fellow Didion admirers. 
Joan Didion
Credit: Pinterest
  • I have loved Jami Nato for years. Her and her husband's testimony, explained in this video, about reconciling following his infidelity is a precious reminder of the gospel. 
  • This song is my daily prayer. 
  • I'm mindful not to allow Netflix to take up too much of my time in this season, but I breezed through Unorthodox two weeks ago. It was a haunting series about a Hasidic woman who leaves her community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and heads to Berlin. 
  • Great movie for date night this weekend! I do love a good WWII drama. 
  • Welp, it doesn't look like much traveling will be happening anytime soon in 2020... but what a dreamy list of 52 places to discover... one day!
  • I'm on an oatmeal kick (again) - and this apple and raspberry bircher and this orange pistachio oatmeal are everything. 
Credit: The Yoga Kitchen Plan via Hip & Healthy
  • "I Worried", a poem by Mary Oliver - which gave me cause to pause this week. 
  • I admit it: I'm fascinated by recent developments in the British Royal Family and have been following semi-closely The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's "step back" as senior members of the Royal Family. These articles, to me, were among the most interesting takes: Black Britons Understand Why Meghan Markle Wants OutThe Hypocrisy of Harry and Meghan’s DecisionMeghan, Kate, and the Architecture of Misogyny, and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Fractured Fairy Tale. (Hint: I have very mixed feelings about Megxit and am always trying to maintain a nuanced view... while also wrestling through my many thoughts about the imperial institution itself!). 
  • I don't by any means share this author's opinion that Easter Sunday is a "celebratory farce," but her confessions convicted me deeply, and beckoned me to search my own heart, too: "We have no faith in the resurrection. Our faith is in upward mobility, savings accounts, and stock options. Our faith is in missiles and drones.  Our faith is in mutually beneficial social ties, security systems, and the ability to hold onto a decent job. This is my confession, and I suspect it could be yours as well. I do not trust in the resurrection enough to trade my social, economic, or physical security for the Kingdom of God. I will give concessions here and there, but I like Ananias and Sapphira, continue to hold back." Powerful. 
  • Striking COVID-19 Lockdown Images from Around the World - the below picture is taken from Tudor City Bridge, a block from UN Women Headquarters where I worked this past year. It is a spot I frequented often when I worked on 42nd street, and I snapped pictures of my own right there. How strange, to see it deserted like this. 
Credit: Architectural Digest
  • I am so taken by Josh Garrell's music, and his song "Don't Be Afraid" brings me back to an especially hard stretch of weeks this year. This video on the album's background was so meaningful to me. 
  • We had an origami-making date this other day and attempted to make these dinosaurs (we muted it, though, as the music is a bit much). Too fun!
  • As a white, Canadian, and Christian woman who is also an aspiring development practitioner, this article about an American missionary in Uganada on trial makes my heart hurt and think, we must do better. (Subtle blogpost plugin on this very topic, HERE). 
  • Joy the Baker's Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts with Brown Butter Glaze? Yes, please. Lent feels like a lifetime ago, friends! Also: the boy and I made Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding and I have to say, it was a roaring success. 
  • I am lost to the charms of vintage rugs such as the ones in this beautiful apartment. I've decided to begin saving up to invest in one -and I hear poking around flea markets is the way to find such gems! 
Credit: Apartment Therapy
  • This musical duo, ever lulling me through the day. Mandolin Orange truly is Americana folk at its best. 
  • I was surprised by Saul Austerlitz's New York Times article, "How the Berenstain Bears Found Salvation",  about the cub franchise's homespun (and secular!) moral axioms taking a turn toward religious themes. 
  • I'm especially tingled at the Metropolitan Opera's announcement that they would stream a different encore presentation every night the New York Opera House is closed during the pandemic. Find their stream schedule here (I'm kicking myself for having missed La Bohème a couple weeks ago, but La Rondine and Madama Butterfly are both coming up - noted!). 
  • Now that I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, isn't good rainwear like this or this a must
  • I've said it once, and I will say it again: Scott Erickson is a true gift. Both his art and his words mean so much. 

    • Credit: @scottthepainter on Instagram
    • What Cheerful Songs Do You Like? Such a fun playlist!
    • A bit about why I am reading the Bible chronologically. I highly recommend this practice!
    • What a beautiful initiative by World Vision - amplifying the voices of children and adolescents during COVID-19, to better child activism efforts! 
    • I recently re-read this striking article on ministry and family, and the successful pursuit of God. It is written in light of A.W. Tozer's work and biography. "In order to do this well, we must dare to believe there is no line between the secular and sacred because God is forever made manifest right in our ordinary lives—there isn’t one room where God dwells and another room where our family lives."
    • Wouldn't mind being quarantined in this Portofino farmhouse


    • Credit: Veranda
    I hope this inventory induced some inspiration and curiosity for you today. I so enjoy collecting and documenting the things I am doing, interested in, and inspired by. What things hold your attention these days? What sparks your creativity or fascination? I'd love to know!

    Have a precious continuation of this week -and stay safe, friends!

    Comments

    Popular Posts