it's been awhile

It's been awhile... and I have missed this space so much! I have not taken time to sit down and write for nearly a month- but I often found myself thinking of topics I want to write about and ideas that I have been challenged by over the Summer months. That said, for now... let's start with a short update!




It's been a great August- busy but so pleasant. I directed a day camp for 7 weeks this Summer. It was a challenging but growing experience. I love working with kids, and I enjoyed the administrative aspects of directing a camp with nearly sixty kids every week. I learned a lot about budgeting, marketing, and all that jazz. I really enjoyed it!




I struggled a lot with the life-work balance, though. I guess this is a reality for most ministry leaders. I ended up working more hours than anticipated, partly by necessity but also by guilt. I often find myself struggling to discern what qualifies as work and what qualifies as the things I am compelled to do as a Christian! To put it bluntly, after a full day of work, is it considered "overtime" to be caring for the vulnerable (troubled children, struggling parents or exhausted staff workers, etc.), mentoring, discipling, or meeting with other ministry workers? Or is this just what I called to do as a Christian? If so, how do you avoid burning out?!

Let's just say I haven't exactly come to a conclusion on any of this. Ugh.


I tried to pace myself this Summer and find rest as best as I could. Lots of coffee shop runs, of course... I also read a lot- my latest reads were The Road Back to You (a very helpful Enneagram resource) and Little Fires Everywhere (great fiction). I'm currently (REALLY) enjoying The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Inspired.









I made sure to fill up weekends with fun outings and seeing friends, which energizes me so much! These included:

A short day trip to New Hampshire, where I met up with my fabulous friend Phoebe (from Maryland, raised in Texas, studying in California, recently living in New York and in Maine for the Summer... oh, and we met in Germany I might add!).








A weekend in Kingston for my birthday and cousin's wedding, as I mentioned a couple posts back.









A short trip to Ottawa to visit my sweet grandparents (I love them so!) and enjoyed sweet times with a part of our extended family.







A besties spa weekend with Elise, to celebrate both of our birthdays. Balnea Spa was lovely- so restful, beautiful and pleasant. The grounds blew us away!















A staff retreat with all day camp counselors at a beautiful cottage near Mont-Tremblant- for worship, fellowship and refreshment.










When camp ended, I flew to Vancouver to spend a week with the boy. It was SO needed. We had such a precious time together- reconnecting, going on dates, enjoying each other's company, talking and talking some more. I love him (not just because he brings me to the coolest places!).
















School is starting in a few days, after my dear friend Kaylyn from BC comes for a short visit. I am slowly but surely feeling ready to dive back into the groove of the schoolyear- but her visit will be a great way to wrap up the fast few months. 

The Summer break during University is undeniably long- yet these months seem to have flown by! 


If you know me, you will not be surprised to hear I'm beyond excited for Fall (and.. cough cough... Christmas... don't judge me!)- but I will without a doubt cherish the Summer of 2018.


Times of growth, learning, challenges, friendship, laughs, decision-making, planned adventure and not-so-planned adventure, creating, thinking... I'm thankful for these Summer months, filled with opportunity and festivity! I know I'll miss them before too long.


Summer 2018, it's been real.

Comments

Popular Posts