january favorites

The month of January isn't the worst. Slower pace, less chaos, much hope and dreaming and new beginnings. 

However. 

January in Montreal is unbelievably cold and dark. And, unlike December, the chill is not accompanied by the prospect of festivities and revelry (decorations are in fact placed in boxes). It honestly feels as though we are deep in the doldrum of winter. I know I am not the only one to think this. In fact, I have heard January being compared to 31 Mondays in a row. 




That said, some things really get me through the winter blues. I hope they do for you, too! 


Here are my January 2018 go-tos! 

1. Fragrance
There is something about the flickering of a candlelight. Candles are so cozy, relaxing and I love the way scented candles add a fragrance to a room. This January, I have been enjoying the Serene candle from Bath and Body Works. It is delightfulsmelling of sea salt, crystalline waters, coconut milk and driftwood. Treat yourself and find a candle that will warm you up and comfort you this month!


Credit: Bath and Body Works

2. Music
Sufjan Stevens' album Carrie & Lowell (and all his albums, really) has fascinated me lately. I love him. His music is intimate, raw and sincere. I am realizing more and more you can distinguish an authentic creator by the art he or she produces. Stevens created album in a dark season of his life, explaining: 

"I was recording songs as a means of grieving, making sense of it. But the writing and recording wasn’t the salve I expected. I fell deeper and deeper into doubt and misery. It was a year of real darkness. In the past my work had a real reciprocity of resources—I would put something in and get something from it. But not this time."

Hence, if you are looking for cheery music to get through January, I wouldn't necessarily go for this album. But if you are fuelled by depth and transparency in a musician, this just might by the track for you. (ps- All of Me Wants All of You is perhaps best avoided by little ears) 


Credit: Wikipedia
3. Reading
I shared some of my favourite reads in the past few months here and here. As mentioned a couple blog posts ago, Love Does by Bob Goff has been a wonderful book and source of encouragement for me this January. I am now starting an autobiography, A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon Vanauken and love it thus far. Books have a way of getting me through the winter blues. There's little that makes me feel more content than a blanket, warm fire and a good book. 


Credit: Amazon

4.  Soup

Nothing says comfort like a bowl of warmth + goodness. January has been all about the soups- creamy vegetable, peace, pho, lentil, etc. etc. I even tried my first farmer sausage soup and I loved it (I'm dating a Mennonite boy, can you tell?). 

Before soup season ends (does it ever?)- ya'll most definitely need to check out this this tomato soup recipe. Enjoy!


Credit: Alexandra's Kitchen 
5. To watch 
The perfect feel-good movie this month? Little Women. I had not watched it in years, watched it again and fell in love with it again, and then re-watched it and re-fell in love with it. It's just so lovely, familiar and sweet. 


Credit: IMDb
6. What to wear
Guys, I think I might be overdoing it with the turtlenecks. It's practically the only thing I wear these days. I love that they are in style- aurevoir to the days of sacrificing warmth for style (not that I ever did that, let's be real). 

I have found amazing ones in thrift stores, but shops like Old Navy, Zara and H&M have some affordable ones too. That said, I would highly encourage you look at Amour Vert's selection of sweaters. I love their philosophy and emphasis on sustainability. Look into investing in ethical clothing! As far as their turtlenecks, check out herehere and here for some of my favourites. 



Credit: Pinterest

Happy January guys. Spring is (kind of, not really) around the corner! 
What are your go-tos these days? Have a great weekend! xox


****For this post I linked with MomfessionalsGrace and Love Blog and A Little Bit of Everything from Friday Favorites, Smidge of This and Carolina Charm from Five on Friday, Meet At the Barre 
from Friday Favorites!******

Comments

Popular Posts